A Welcome from Mrs. Haugen
The beginning of the school year is such an exciting time. We are all happy to be back, getting organized and planning for an active year of learning. The beauty of school is the renewal of each school year. We all return rested and ready. I’ve met some new families and reconnected with familiar faces. If I haven’t met you yet, please stop me in the hall and say hello. It’s going to be a great year! And don’t miss the new GLT Blog to the right–there’s a feed of their individual articles that provide a unique student perspective for parents. Go Grant Leadership Team!
New Arrivals to Grant School
Hello everyone, I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself to you and tell you a little about me. My name is Keith
Blascow and I am the new 5th grade teacher here at Grant. Becoming a teacher is a career change for me as I worked as a Grocery Team Leader with Whole Foods Market for over fifteen years where I mentored and taught a staff of 20 people. I recently received my credential via the Masters of Education program at Dominican University of CA. I entered this program immediately after completing my B.A. in Psychology at that same University. I did my student teaching at Valley Vista and also had the good fortune to work there as an after school intervention specialist. I am married and have two young children, a four-year-old girl and a two-year-old boy who keep me very busy outside of school. I look forward to the opportunity to grow and learn with you and your children as well as being their teacher in the year ahead.
My name is Anne Cozza, and I am thrilled to become a part of the Grant School family. As a former Grant School graduate, I am not only proud but honored to give back to the school that provided me with such an amazing foundation for life. I absolutely love my third grade class, and I know we will have a fun-filled and successful year together. I look forward to becoming a part of this wonderful community. Thank you for all your support and kindness.
Other new faces you might see: Barbara Bacciocco is a new aide on our campus. Kate is new to our noon duty supervisor team. Sonja Wanhala is holding down the fort as guidance counselor during Han’s leave of absence, and Katie is her intern. Veronica joins our night custodial team. Welcome to all!
Communication at Grant School
We strive to provide ample opportunities to stay in the loop at Grant School. Here are a few:
- Grant’s website: www. grantelementary.org has up to date information, announcements, contact info and a calendar to keep you up to date
- Grant Weekly Email: visit www.grantelementary.org click “Join our email list–Go Green” in the left hand corner to subscribe.
- Teacher email
- Teacher bulletin boards outside of classrooms
- The Shamrock News–our monthly school newsletter–you can subscribe via the link on the school website.
- The GLT Blog–http://kidblog.org/GrantLeadershipTeam/ It’s also a feed on the website and on The Shamrock News site as well. A student perspective.
- Our wiki: www.grantlab.pbworks.com–a portal for all curriculum and learning links.
- Display cases outside the office.
- The marquee on Grant Avenue
- Friday Folders–the eldest student in each family brings this home weekly.
- Grant Elementary is on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Grant-PTA-Petaluma/100243750022291
- Follow Grant on Twitter: @grantshamrocks
A Message from the YMCA
Please know that the YMCA uses our field and play structure for after care. Children not with the Y should be supervised by a parent and follow the rules. We don’t climb on top of the monkey bars, climb up the slide or play in an unsafe manner. Thank you for helping the YMCA do their job and keep our students safe after school.
Traffic on Grant Avenue
Thank you for planning ahead and following all of the traffic laws during drop off and pick up. The #1 goal is student safety. Our neighbors on Grant Court are happy to provide extra parking but get concerned when folks do not use the sidewalk. Backing out of those driveways provides very limited visibility. Please use the sidewalk on Grant Court.
When dropping off in the morning it is key that you pull all the way forward in the yellow zone. The flow works best this way and eliminates the need for cars queuing us to release students into the street.
A HUGE thanks to our morning crossing guard team headed up by Heather Paschoal. If you’d like to join the team and keep our students safe, contact Heather.
- School Site Council: Tuesday, September 10th 3:15-4:30 in room A4
- Back to School Night: Wednesday, September 11th 6:15-7:15 1st-3rd grade, 7:15-7:30 meet the staff, PTA & SSC in the multi, 7:30-8:30 4th-6th grade
- Wrapping Paper Fundraiser Comes Home: Friday, September 13th
- Ice Cream Social: Thursday, September 19th 6:30-7:30 in the multi
- School Pictures: Thursday, September 19th & Friday, September 20th
- 1st PTA Association Meeting: Thursday, September 26th 6:30-7:45 in the multi
- 1st Coffee & Conversation with the Principal: Friday, September 27th 8-9am in the library